There's No Crying in Baseball

There is no force equal to that of a determined woman" -Unknown


This "adventure" started when I woke up unusually early on Sunday morning with a slight stomachache. Remembering I didn't have a big supper, I assumed it was because of an empty stomach. After fueling up on breakfast, I quickly determined an empty stomach was not the case of this pain. Although it was a discomfort to say the least, I had things to do and places to be. I brushed it off and proceeded upon my day.
Gradually throughout the day, the pain increased. And increased. And increased. It became painful to walk, and the stomachache was becoming too much to bare. But, nonetheless, I knew that the next day, I would be throwing out the first pitch at an Arkansas Traveler's baseball game. This event has been something I have looked forward to all summer long, and I was not going to let this pain stop me.
I had told my mother earlier in the day about my stomachache, and we began searching the symptoms online. An array of different diagnostics waved across the phone screen, and the severity of many suggestions were startling.
We decided rest would be the best remedy, and for now, she'd just be "keeping an eye on me" until she was positive I would be okay.
Hours passed, and now at 10:30pm, I had lost my appetite, eating only saltine crackers to soothe my stomachache. I sat in bed with my mother, scared, and holding back tears. After contemplating on what to do, Mom was dead-set on taking me to the emergency room.
The pain continued to rise while waiting in the hospital lobby, and when checked in, I began to feel "woozy" from the pain.
The doctor and both nurses sat down and discussed the possibility of appendicitis. They then explained if that was the scenario, I would have to be transferred and immediately receive surgery to remove my appendix. The first question I asked was, "Would it be possible to keep my appendix one more day? Please? I have a first pitch to throw tomorrow."
Of course, that absolutely would not be an option.  I underwent a series of blood tests, received a CAT scan, and my very first IV. (might I add, which I took like a champ.)
I received pain medication through the IV, which sent me straight to sleep. My parents continued to wait on feedback, until a conclusion was made around 1:30am.
After seeing the lab results, the doctor determined I had mesenteric lymphadenitis. This usually results from an intestinal infection, and mainly affects children and teens. This painful condition can identically mimic the warning signs of appendicitis. Unlike appendicitis, mesenteric lymphadenitis is seldom serious and can usually be cured by medication.
They woke me up, and the first thing that came out of my mouth was "Wait, where am I? Can I still throw the first pitch tomorrow?"
The doctor explained my case, and told me I could do any activities I wanted to, as long as I was capable. I was prescribed medication, and released at almost 2am.
I was very lucky, and blessed to say the least. The Lord had a plan, and was watching out for me that morning.
The same day I was in the emergency room at 2am, I was throwing a baseball across the plate in Traveler stadium that evening.

It was a strike.


"A strong woman looks a challenge dead in the eye and gives it a wink."

Comments

Popular Posts