The Little Things

Growing up in a small, home-grown community has shaped me into who I am.  I am very thankful for my little town with watercolor sunsets and field lined highways. I wouldn't trade our one-stop-light-town for the universe. I have learned so much from this sweet little community that couldn't be learned from a textbook. And what I've learned, is what "the little things" are.
The little things are listening to the church bells ring through town. Catching lightning bugs on a July Saturday night. Dancing on the square in poodle skirts during the Rod Run. Asking your neighbor for a cup of sugar. Joining the whole town at Parker Field, wrapped up in blankets under the Friday Night Lights. Driving off from the gas station with your wallet on top of your car, losing it on the way home, only to get a phone call minutes later, to find it had been found before you realized it was missing. (Guilty.)  Asking for volunteers to help built a parade float, and coming home to three members of your church, your dad's best friend from kindergarten, your hair dresser, and two of your teachers waiting there, wanting to lend a helping hand. Raising $3,000 at a Saturday morning 5K run, in a town with the population of 3,700.
Tight knit communities like mine are becoming a rarity. I have been so blessed to grow up in my sweet little town.
Our Small Town USA is apart of who I am, and even inspired my platform. I created Helping Hands Saving Hearts to be the helping hand to rural communities everywhere. Every 1-in-3 Americans die from heart disease, but that stastistic is even higher in rural communtities, just like mine, where immediate medical attention is out of reach. This little town has supported my hopes, dreams, and now my journey. Now, it's my turn to give back. I am determined to educate rural America on the dangers of heart disease, and how to live a healthy lifestyle. It's our duty to insure that every community has the resources critical to living a heart healthy life.
I know there is so much more of the world to see, so many places to go, and things to be. I can't wait to find what else this world has to offer, but I know I'll never find another place where I'll learn the little things I that I have learned here.

"Chase your dreams, but always know the road that will lead you home again" -Tim McGraw

Comments

Popular Posts